Secondary Suite Program
Secondary suites, commonly known as basement suites, are a form of housing that can be put in single family homes. These rental unites are a great way for homeowners to generate extra revenue.
Secondary suites offer greater affordability and choice in terms of rental accommodations in Saskatoon. To encourage the creation of new and the legalizing of existing secondary suites, the City of Saskatoon will rebate permit fees for building and plumbing permits as well as a portion of the Legalizing an Existing Suite (LES) Occupancy Permit fee for completed secondary suites. Homeowners who wish to obtain rebates of permit fees for the construction of a new or the legalization of an existing secondary suite must have a valid building permit or be engaged in the LES process and must apply to the Planning and Development Branch.
The City’s permit rebates complement the Secondary Suite Program offered by the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.
What Does the Secondary Suite Program Offer?
- Provides financial assistance to eligible homeowners and rental property owners to construct or renovate a secondary suite in the form of a forgivable loan for 50% of the total construction/renovation costs to a maximum of $30,000 per suite.
- Help increase the supply of affordable housing for low- to moderate- income people.
- Applicants must own existing property or be in the process of purchasing or contracting a newly constructed home that includes plans to develop a secondary suite.
- New construction applications where land has not been transferred to the purchaser must be accompanied by: the Developer building permit, a copy of the plans and building specifications, copy of the sales agreement/building contract, a breakdown of building costs associated with the secondary suite, and purchaser confirmation of financing.
- Applicants must house eligible tenants that have an annual gross household income below the applicable income threshold as set out by Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.
- Applicants must keep rents affordable based on the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation rent schedule for the term of the loan.
- The secondary suite must be a private, self-contained residential unit that meets all national, provincial and municipal bylaws, codes and standards.
Applicants must receive written funding approval from Saskatchewan Housing Corporation prior to commencing renovations on an existing suite OR prior to placing the first initial tenant in a new suite.
To apply for the Secondary Suite Program, visit: www.socialservices.gov.sk.ca/housing
Download a copy of this information > Secondary Suite Program